Thursday, May 23, 2013

Who's following who?


Ideeeaaaassss..... one in particular. One I've been having this week. I wonder at the fact that many a day have been started with the prayer "Lord, come and be with me" or "Lord walk with me throughout this day." So many times the Christian looks to his God and asks God to join him throughout his day, at his tasks, in his life. And I don't think that this is wrong, necessarily. But it is reflective of us and who we are, I think. Without even thinking about it, and with the best intentions, we ask God to join us. 

But when I see Jesus. When I look at his life and see him interacting with people, I never see someone look at Jesus and say "come and follow me wherever I go today." instead you always see Jesus say "Come and follow me." period. And I love that sentence. It's so open ended and final at the same time. There's no time stamp attached. It's a forever kinda thing. Like "hey, i know you've got stuff going on, and i know you had plans and dreams for the future, but instead of that... just come and follow me... forever. never stop. Just keep following me wherever I go. Do whatever I'm doing. Listen to whatever I'm saying. See whatever I'm seeing." That in and of itself is a way better story than, "Jesus can go with you wherever you go." I mean sure, that's true. He's always with us. never leaves us. never forsakes us. But God didn't come to the earth so he could follow everyone around right? 

Look at the Israelites in the Old Testament, God didn't say "Ok you're free, go wherever you want, have fun, let me know if you need me and stuff." he became a massive pillar of fire, and smoldering cloud that they could follow to the promised land.

I propose this. Just as God had plans for the Israelites, ( like the promised land ) and Jesus had plans for the Disciples, ( like a life full of adventure and power ) maybe God has plans for all of us. "Old news" you say. "i already know God has a plan for me". and yet... and yet we continue on, unchanging, unphased. We sometimes feel tugs this way, or that. We see an open parking space in front of the store and say "God must have wanted me to be here". but are we really following Him? Do we wake up everyday and go looking for where he is? 

What if everyday is an incredible game of hide and seek where we go and seek him. Figure out where he is and what he's doing. Like when you were a kid and your dad got up before you did on saturday and you walked around the house trying to find him. And he was gardening in the back yard, and of course, 'cause your 5, all you want to do is help. Everyday God gets up before we do and he asks us to follow him, seek after him, and do whatever it is He's doing today. Tomorrow morning when you wake up, instead of saying "God, come join me today and help me do my stuff." say, "God, where you at? Lead me and let me follow you all day long."

Sounds good, lets get some verses in our heads. 

Matthew 4:19 "Come, follow me," Jesus said, "and i will send you out to fish for people."

Matthew 8:22 "But jesus told him, "Follow me, and let the dead bury their own dead."

Mark 1:17 "Come, Follow me" Jesus said, "and i will send you out to fish for people"

Luke 18:22 "When Jesus heard this, he said to him, "you still lack on thing. Sell everything you have and give to the poor, and you will have treasure i heaven. Then come, follow me."

Other examples - Mat 9:9, 10:38, 16:24, 19:21
Mark 2:14, 8:34, 10:21
Luke 5:27, 9:23, 9:59, 14:27, 18:22, 
John 1:43, 10:27, 12:26, 21:19, 21:22


Jesus says this a lot. 

No comments: